My friend Rachel at Our Life Plus Dogs keeps a monthly log of her raw food orders, and it seemed like a fabulous idea so I
stole appropriated it for keeping track of what the Namaste Dogs eat. I’ll preface this by saying that my freezer is a 7 cu. ft. chest freezer, and I have two rather large dogs, so the orders I place last me 6-8 weeks. I buy most of my meat mixes in bulk from Dieta Yum, which is pretty much the only raw food for pets supplier available to me here in Spain. My raw meaty bones I get for free or for just a few cents per kilogram from the local butchers, and we buy fresh fish from the fishmonger since we have plenty of selection of fish, being that we live on the coast.
On hand right now, pretty much nothing. I have 2 kg of lamb mix in the freezer which will last me 1.5 days, and I will probably buy a whole chicken from the butcher tomorrow to last the dogs until our order comes in on Wednesday.
So my order for October/November looks like this:
- 2 cases of 100% whole ground chicken (with bone and organ) – 12 kg (26.5 lbs) – 26.76€ (13.38€/case)
- 2 cases of turkey blend (more details on what’s in that below) – 12 kg (26.5 lbs) – 40.48€ (20.24€/case)
- 1 case of puppy mix (more details on what’s in that below) – 6 kg (13.25 lbs) – 21.10€ (21.10€/case)
- 2 cases of chicken/beef blend (more details on what’s in that below) – 12 kg (26.5 lbs) – 29.82€ (14.91€/case)
- 1 case of lamb blend (more details on what’s in that below) – 6 kg (13.25 lbs) – 15.77€ (15.77€/case)
That’s a total of 48 kgs (106 lbs) of meat mixes, all with organ and bone, so I don’t need to buy organ meat, but I do add raw meaty bones because my dogs do better with a bit more bone.
Now for what is in those blends.
Turkey 60%, Lamb Tripe 20%, Zucchini 9.5%, Apple 9.499%, Garlic 0.001%, EVOO 1%
Chicken 40%, Green Tripe 20%, Beef 15%, Salmon 5%, Chard 5%, Carrots 5%, Sardine 3.999%, Turnip 3%, Eggshell 1%, Spirulina 1%, EVOO 1%, Garlic 0.001%
Chicken 60%, Beef 19%, Carrot 9.999%, Chard 5%, Turnip 5%, EVOO 1%, Garlic 0.001%
Lamb 19%, Chicken 60%, Carrot 9.999%, Chard 5%, Turnip 5%, EVOO 1%, Garlic 0.001%
For raw meaty bones, I normally get chicken backs and carcasses, lamb necks and ribs, pig tails, or beef short ribs, or a mix thereof, depending on what my butcher bags up for me. I generally pick those up weekly.
With tax (10%), my order came to 147.32€ (or $186). Spread over 2 months and allowing for free RMBs, that works out to a total cost per dog, per month for this order: 36.75€ ($46.40). Cost per day, per dog: 1.19€ ($1.50)